Grilled Zucchini Corn Salad
This grilled vegetable salad is one of those dishes to look forward to with the arrival of every year’s spring and summer. It’s packed with all the vegetables and herbs you’re bound to run into at seasonal farmers markets— Here in the Pacific Northwest, veggies like corn, zucchini, green onion, arugula, and tomatoes grow abundantly throughout the spring and summer seasons.
Tomatoes plump up and ripen, drop down from their own vines into the soil in which they grow. Zucchinis grow long, fruiting left and right, as it’s shaded by its own bright green leaves. Herbs in the herb garden stretch tall, getting closer to bloom: Overflowing seasonal gardens are a big reason why this grilled zucchini corn salad is such a perfect way to break out the grill and celebrate the start of summer. (If you don’t have your own grill, this recipe can easily be cooked with a cast iron grill pan, too!).
If you’re looking for a recipe to use up all that zucchini, look no further. It’s as simple as grilling up some corn, zucchini, and tomatoes and throwing them with some fresh arugula and aromatics. Go ahead and use fresh herbs from your herb garden if you have some, like oregano, basil, and dill. A quick and easy “dressing” of olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper lets the taste of freshly grilled ripe seasonal vegetables stand on their own. And bonus: This dish can be enjoyed at room temperature, hot, or cold and straight from the fridge the next day.
Grilled Zucchini Corn Salad
- 3 medium zucchinis, halved
- 3 cobs corn, shucked
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more to grill
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- Pinch dried oregano or basil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese or feta
- Place a grill pan on the grill and heat the grill to medium high heat, approximately 450 degrees. Drizzle the corn cobs, zucchini halves, and cherry tomatoes with a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil.
- When the grill is hot, place the corn cobs on the grill and gently spread the cherry tomatoes on the grill plate. Grill tomatoes, stirring occasionally, until mostly charred, about 5 minutes. Remove from the grill, then place the zucchini halves on the grill. Grill zucchini for 2-3 minutes on each side, until barely tender and charred. Grill the corn cobs, rotating every 3 minutes or so, until each side is golden and mostly charred, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let the vegetables cool for about 5 minutes, then chop the zucchini and cut the corn off the cob. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano, salt, and pepper until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, add the arugula, green onion, crumbled goat cheese or feta, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil mixture and toss well to combine.